Accessing GP care during the Omicron outbreak:
Aroha mai, Taupō Medical Centre is currently under a lot of pressure providing remote care for a high number of COVID-19 patients who are self-managing their illness at home. Some of our team members are in isolation with their whānau, so we’re also short staffed.
We are still here for you though so please don’t put off getting in touch if you’re unwell.
We are inundated with phone calls, so it will take longer than usual to get through. We’re also doing things a bit differently to ensure people get the right medical care as soon as possible.
Here’s what you can expect.
- It will take some time to get through to the practice. Please consider leaving a message for a call back or using the patient portal to access your medical records, view test results and order repeat prescriptions.
- A Clinician will discuss your concerns during a phone triage call to decide on the most appropriate way to meet your needs. Sometimes a Nurse will be able to help.
- Some GP/NP consultations will be available for people who need to be seen kanohi ki te kanohi (face to face). There will probably be a longer than usual wait time to get an appointment.
- Clinicians will also be booking virtual consultations, which allow you to have a telephone or video appointment from home.
- Routine or non-urgent appointments may be postponed.
- After hours virtual consultations are available through Practice Plus. Find out more or book an appointment at practiceplus.nz or alternatively access this service via the Practice Plus logo on the ‘Home’ page of our Website.
- Emergency departments remain available for emergencies.
- If it’s not an emergency, you can call Healthline on 0800 611 116 for free 24-hour health advice or find health information at healthnavigator.org.nz.
- You can go to a pharmacy to ask for advice on minor medical issues or health concerns.
- Please note: If you have had COVID-19 you can return to childcare, school or work after 7 days of isolation, if you have no symptoms. You do not need a RAT test after 7 days to prove you no longer have it, we are unable to provide RAT tests for this purpose.
Thank you for your patience. We want everyone to receive the care they need, and we’re doing our best to make that happen.
THE COVID RAT Test Collection and Testing station is located at the REAR entrance of the TAUPŌ Vaccination Centre, 6/29 Totara Street, Taupō opening hours are as follows:
Orders for COVID RAT Kits must be placed via https://requestrats.covid19.health.nz , or free call to 0800222478
Collection Instructions will be posted on the REAR door of the Taupō Vaccination Centre
If unwell, ask your doctor for a PCR test during your appointment to avoid congestion at the collection site.
Please see the below link for the Operating Hours for COVID Collection Clinic and Taupō Vaccination Centre